Bonjour my friends,
It has been a very busy and very cold week! Desperate times call for desperate measures… It’s time to use my slow cooker. Using a slow cooker is actually the opposite of desperate measures (I was going for the dramatic tone). I absolutely LOVE this thing.
I have noticed that slow cookers are a lot more common in the US than they are in France. Almost every single US household owns a slow cooker. I can think of 2 reasons why it is not as popular in France to own a slow cooker:
- Slow cookers are more expensive in France
- French kitchens are smaller! So there isn’t much space for extra cooking gear (and the raclette machine is given priority of course!)
I found this easy stew recipe in a magazine a while back and I have been coming back to it regularly. It is the easiest thing to do, perfect for a week night meal (just throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning and you’re good to go) AND it is low fat!
Meatball Fiesta Stew:
- 2 cans of Mexican style tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans, drained and washed
- 10 ounces of frozen kernel corn
- 1 pack of frozen cooked turkey meatball (about 24 meatball)
- 14 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 spoon of chopped garlic
- Fresh oregano
Add everything (but oregano) in slow cooker. Cook for 7 hours on low or for 3 hours on high.
Serve with some oregano.
Secret Ingredient: In this case it is the “not so secret tool” the slow cooker
Radio Station: Eddie Vedder
Movie to watch after dinner: Into the Wild (2007). Beautiful movie with beautiful music. This movie has one of my favorite soundtrack. My dad can play almost everything song at the guitar and my sisters and I sing along (or try to).
So Enjoy, Bon Appétit and C’est la Vie!